It’s a Subscription Beauty Box Face-off time again! I decided to combine my Glam Bag and Birchbox reviews together. Both are similar subscription services so I like to compare them side by side.
WHAT IS IT?
Birchbox is $10 a month and will send you 4-5 “luxe” samples. The cool thing about Birchbox is that you can review the products you receive and earn 10 points per product. 100 points will give you $10 to spend in the online store where you can buy full sized versions of the products. You also receive points for every dollar you spend in the store. And full sized versions of samples ship free that month.
Glambag, which is owned by Ipsy, is also $10 a month and will send “deluxe samples and full sized beauty products”. They send the products in a cute cosmetic bag. They don’t have an online store, nor can you review products, but they do have a pretty active online community and you can upload different “looks” and view tutorials. Kind of like an online makeup playground.
WHAT’D I GET?
November’s Glam Bag Theme was “Party Perfect”.
- Nailtini Nail Polish – “Millionaire”
- I have a nail polish addiction, so I am ALWAYS happy get nail polish – especially full size! I liked the glitter – it was bright, colorful and fun.
- theBalm Meet Matt(e) Eyeshadow – Matt Batali
- I’m becoming a fan of theBalm. They are fun and clever and nice products as well! This eyeshadow is a nice dark pigment and I love the little sample. It has a magnetic cover – it could entertain me for hours, haha!
- bare Minerals Marvelous Moxie Lipgloss in Dare Devil
- This is a nice sheer berry color. It is a bit sticky, but I don’t mind it too much. It has a nice, cool peppermint flavor and feeling. I am seriously in love with the color. It’s the perfect shade for me because I don’t generally wear anything on my lip other than chapstick. Sometimes I find lipstick or dark colors look garish on me.
- Starlet Cosmetics Intense Eyeliner in Brown
- I was really happy to see brown eyeliner. BROWN! I almost always get black eyeliner and mascara and can’t wear it. I haven’t tried it yet, but it seems to have a nice creamy texture.
- Chella Eyebrow Defining Gel
- Meh. This isn’t a product I need or use. I’ll hunt down someone with unruly eyebrows and gift it to them.
- Just Fab Discount $20 off
- Everything on the site is $39.95, so this is essentially half off. Not too bad!
|Gotta love the makeup bags!|
|Nice color – great for a smokey eye!|
|I LOVED this!!|
|Finally – brown!|
November’s Birchbox theme was “Give”:
- Atelier Cologne – Rose Anonyme Cologne Absolue
- This was actually a sample to “gift” to the man in my life. Ok, sure. It’s a nice scent though. Clean and fresh.
- Miracle Skim Transformer – Vanish Instant Imperfection Corrector
- I’ve been using this for about a week and haven’t noticed much of a difference. I wouldn’t say it instantly vanishes my imperfections. Oh well.
- Oscar Blandi – Pronto Texture & Volume Spray
- This is actually a really great hairspray. I like a light hold and this delivered. Not too stiff or clumpy. And perfect size for traveling!
- stila – all over shimmer liquid lumizer
- Who doesn’t like shimmer? The color is pretty – like a light gold.
- Lifestyle Extra – Chuao Chocolatier Chocopod – chocolate potato chip
- These chocopods are neat little individual candies with fun flavors. I am curious to give it a try! I think these would also make great gifts.
- Chromatic – $15 off
- All the products on the site were almost a hundred dollars, so the coupon was pretty meaningless to me.
|The box! It also included a little envelope so I could gift something to someone. I guess?|
|Close up of main products|
WHAT ARE MY FINAL THOUGHTS?
I was quite happy with both of my boxes actually! Glam Bag had some awesome makeup products. All of them were high quality and either full sized or very generous samples. I was really happy with the colors I received too. Last month I couldn’t really use any of the colors so I was especially happy this month.
Birchbox was also pretty good for me. The hairspray was great and I liked the chocolate. I thought it was fun. The shimmer luminizer was also cool and can be used in a variety of ways. I thought it was also a pretty good sample size. I was very interested to try the corrector, so happy to see it in the box. The cologne was kind of an odd choice, but I’ll go with it. I like the scent well enough.
If I had to pick a winner, I would say Glam Bag. You really can’t compete against the full size products and makeup bag for the price. But I wasn’t upset by Birchbox at all. It was much better than my previous month’s was. I find I like the balance of the two. Glam Bag is definitely makeup oriented, which is awesome. But I do like that Birchbox has a bigger variety of products. I especially like trying out new skin care products and the like.
So this month, I would say both boxes were winners for me.
ARE YOU INTERESTED?
If you would like to try Birchbox, you can join through my link (I will receive referral points):
Glam Bag doesn’t have a referral program, so I don’t have a personal link, but here is the main subscriber page: http://www.ipsy.com/theglambag
Disclaimer: I was not paid or provided with any product. I paid for this box on my own. All my opinions are my own.